Entries open for 2013 Best Recycled Plastic Product of the Year Competition
Submitted by: Tholakele Nene, Thursday, August 22, 2013
The South African Plastics Recycling Organisation (SAPRO) is inviting all South African recyclers, converters and innovators to submit their entries for the 2013 Best Recycled Plastic Product of the Year Competition. All entry forms and products must be delivered to the Plastics|SA Head Office in Midrand before the closing date, 30 August 2013.
The four year old competition forms part of the company’s Clean up South Africa Week, an initiative that encourages South Africans to recycle where they live, work and play.
According to Douglas Greig Chairman of SAPRO, since inception the competition has sparked much interest amongst locals and businesses to recycle plastics and has further grown the market and demand for recycled material.
“Products made from recycled plastic are gaining a wider market acceptance and approval from the consumer. This competition is well supported by brand owners, retailers, converters and the media who are all encouraging innovation and improved methods of recovery and design when using plastic as the material of choice. All the previous years’ winners and finalists testify to the fact that the competition has helped raise the profile of their business and the credibility of their products, resulting in us seeing an increase in both the number and quality of products that are being entered each year,” says Greig.
The competition is divided into four categories
- Products made from 100% recyclate
- Products containing a percentage of post-consumer recyclate
- Products made from a mixture of materials
- Novel and artistic products such as articles made from discarded plastic products
The competition will award Gold and Silver winners in each of the product categories and will acknowledge the recycler, the manufacturer of the product and the brand owner at the awards ceremony on 19 September 2013 in Midrand.
The overall winning entry will walk away with the SAPRO Trophy for the best recycled product in 2013.
Winners will be selected using the following criteria:
- Life expectancy of the product
- Sustainability and long term demand and acceptance for the product
- Potential tonnages diverted from landfills and converted into a product
- Replacement of alternative materials
- Technical achievements in manufacturing excellence to overcome recycle material challenges
- Measures taken to ensure product consistency and customer satisfaction despite recycled material
- Potential to create consumer awareness of plastics recycling
To keep updated with sustainability news subscribe to the fortnightly Urban Earth Newsletter.
You may also be interested in:
- Entries open for recycled plastic product competition
- Cape Town’s fifty/50 Wheelie Bin wins the Recycled Product of the Year Award
- 70% of plastic recycled in SA is from post-consumer sources
- Chicken nests made from recycled plastic offcuts saves on costs
- Plastic Fence Droppers – Using 100% recycled material for sustainable fencing
- Plastics recycling in South Africa
- Plastics SA and SAPRO warn against use of ‘degradable’ plastics
- Novita Shoes produces school shoe soles from 100% recycled material